I’ve been tagged by Salen to list seven songs I am currently listening to. It’s been a long time since I listened to music while on the PC. I only have headphones (which is hanging by a thread wire as I write this, holding on to dear dear life. Thanks to my two daughters, this is the 3rd casualty. Such is life with three kids – only memories last forever). I can’t use it while blogging since I have to listen for my son Magnate if he cries.
So this tag is a welcome one! (Thanks, Salen!). I have a favorite playlist in my WM Player. Some songs are not very common, might even reflect my age, LOL. These are my top 7. If you want to listen to the songs, just click on the title. (Note: imeem.com will require you to register for free before you can listen to the audio.)
Enjoy reading and listening!
1. Fields of Gold (Eva Cassidy’s version). For me, this is the best version of the Sting original. Listening to it never fails to touch my heart, sometimes even making me teary-eyed. Even Sting was reportedly moved to tears when he first heard the song. Such is the effect of Eva’s haunting voice. Unfortunately, Eva had already passed away when he heard her version.
Eva Cassidy, obviously one of my favorite artists, was not very well-known outside of her circle until her death from bone cancer in 1996 at the age of 33. In fact, all her albums were released posthumously. Go to her website if you wish to know more about the woman behind the extraordinary voice.
Will you stay with me will you be my love
Among the fields of barley
And you can tell the sun in his jealous sky
When we walked in fields of gold
I never made promises lightly
And there have been some that I’ve broken
But I swear in the days still left
We will walk in fields of gold
We’ll walk in fields of gold
2. True Colors (Eva Cassidy’s version). A beautiful acoustic rendition of the Cyndi Lauper song.
You with the sad eyes
Don’t be discouraged
Oh I realize
It’s hard to take courage
In a world full of people
You can lose sight of it all…
… don’t be afraid to let them show
Your true colors
True colors are beautiful,
Like a rainbow.
I can go on and on with her songs in this list, hehe. But let me give more airtime to my other faves.
4. Ants Marching (by DMB again). When I used to work in an area south of Manila, about 2 hours from home (1 hour if I’m early and lucky and fast enough; all 3 must be present), this was my anthem. I was always in a hurry – rushing to the office early in the morning, rushing back home in the evening to catch my kids’ last wakeful moments. In between all these, life became a routine. I was tired physically and mentally. Work became the center of my life. How could it not be, when I spent more than half of my day there, and a fourth of that just driving, or rather, stuck in traffic? I began feeling like one of those ants, tired and trudging through life. I was burning out. It wasn’t a way to live. That’s why I left. Now I can listen to this song purely for pleasure, not anymore because it empathizes with me.
He wakes up in the morning
Does his teeth bite to eat and he’s rolling
Never changes a thing
The week ends the week begins
She thinks, we look at each other
Wondering what the other is thinking
But we never say a thing
And these crimes between us grow deeper
Take these chances
Place them in a box until a quieter time
Lights down, you up and die
Driving along on this highway
All these cars and upon the sidewalk
People in every direction
No words exchanged, no time to exchange and when
All the little ants are marching
Red and black antennae waving
They all do it the same
They all do it the same way
5. Say Goodbye (DMB yet again!) Love the guitar intro too. DMB plays their music with so much passion. Whenever I listen to their songs, I can almost feel the same passion they have as they sing.
6. Feels Like Heaven (Fra Lippo Lippi). I love 80s music.
7. Don’t Dream It’s Over (Crowded House). I love 80s music!
Aaww, is it over??? But I’ve got a long list yet! I’m 80s tripping as of the moment teehee 😀
I’m not tagging anyone, but if you enjoyed this post as much as I did, do play along and link back to let me know. 🙂