The weekend came, is almost gone, yet I have not been able to catch up on my blogging. I’ve been tagged to do several memes, which I shall do now before they get buried with another school week’s worth of mommy chores. The next two weeks will especially be toxic as the first quarter exams are here. For Chinese schools (or at least in ours), periodical exams are divided into two phases. Phase 1 is for the Chinese subjects (oral, vocabulary, and written tests). Phase 2 is for all other subjects. Phase 1 in my kids’ school happens this week. We’re gearing up for a lot of hard work. Hooray.
Teacher Julie tagged me to do the Birthday Meme. The rules:
- Go to Wikipedia and type in your birthday (month and day).
- Write down 3 events, 2 births, 1 holiday and tag 5 friends.
- There are five slots in the Birthday Meme. As you are tagged, you have to remove the name in the first slot and bump everyone up so that your name can be added to the bottom.
Very nice timing, Julie! My birthday, August 1, is just around the corner. I’ll be 33! Man, I don’t even mind anymore that I’m way past the calendar dates. I’ve come to terms with that last year and now moved on into the acceptance phase. I am old! But it’s not that bad, actually.
On with the tag…
30 BC – Octavian (later known as Augustus) enters Alexandria, Egypt, bringing it under the control of the Roman Republic. (Incidentally, my paternal grandpa, who was a schoolteacher, wanted to name me Augusta when I was born for obvious reasons. There is historical background behind it pala. In retrospect, I would have loved to be named Augusta 🙂 )
2 births (It’s awesome to know I share birthdays with them):
If you find this really interesting and your birthday is coming up soon, consider yourself tagged!
10 Random Facts About My Mom (Thanks, Mitch, for the tag. I loved doing this!)
1. Mama is 65 years old but she looks 10 years younger. (Hindi bola yan ah, besides she doesn’t read my blog hehe).
2. She is 8 years younger than Dad. (I couldn’t imagine myself marrying someone 8 years older!)
3. She is a great multi-tasker. Decades before the term was invented, she was already doing it: at night before going to bed, while she brushed her teeth, she went around the house checking doors, windows, the gas tank, faucets, on her 6 girls, and taking out food from the ref for the next morning’s breakfast. By the time she was done, I could imagine how clean her teeth were! 😀 With six children to raise on her own most of the time (as Dad was an OFW for several years), I guess she only got better at multi-tasking.
4. She is one of those lucky women whom God chose to bless with hairless legs and underarms. Never in her life has she experienced shaving her legs or plucking her armpits.
5. She’s a prolific, awesome green thumb. Her garden is beautiful when it’s in full bloom, which is just about all-year ’round.
6. She’s a collector of all sorts. She keeps boxes and boxes of old clothes, old books, old stuff. She has issues parting with
old stuff. In the nooks and crannies of her handbag are packets of ketchup and napkins. Her reason: You’ll never know when you will need them.
7. She has this Flavor of the Month thing. For one month, she will have a favorite blouse which she will wear almost everyday of the week. Dad would scold her and tell her to change into one of the many clothes she has. Of course she refuses.
8. Mama is/was quite vain with her skin, the reason I guess for her youthful look. She always has jars of lotions, moisturizers and night creams stashed away somewhere in her room (some of which I have managed to pilfer, hehe). I remember: on those nights she was multi-tasking, if she wasn’t brushing her teeth, she was wiping her face with some toner or cream. I remember: Pond’s Cold Cream, Oil of Olay, some Clarins cream…
9. She, along with Dad, has discovered her retirement calling: Bingo. *hay*
10.Mama is a strong Filipina woman. She has weathered a lot of storms in her life and always managed to come out whole, better.
I’m not tagging anyone, but if you’ve got a great mom worth bragging about, why don’t you share ten random things about her? 🙂
Passing on the Rockin’ Badge
Weeks ago, Rach
Chateau of iMoM – She is a dedicated work-at-home mom. I had the privilege of meeting her in person. The first thing about her that striked me was her lovely smile. Chats is sweet, friendly and fun-loving. It’s interesting how we seem to have a penchant for similar food. No wonder, we got along pretty well on our first meeting.
Chateau, Queen of Quirks — the one, the only who can beat my own royal weirdness. She’s very kalog and funny — though she has to unfreeze first before she goes campy. With a heart soft as marshmallow for Nate, Patricia, Vgood and Technohub and big enough to embrace new friends like me.
awarded me with the shiny hot-pink Rockin’ Girl Blogger badge, which I gratefully accepted. However, I failed to pass on the badge to five other rockin’ girl bloggers. So here is my long-overdue list:
1. Toni of Gluehwurm: She has always rocked, blogger or not. We were friends back in high school, and used to hang out at her parents’ folkhouse (today’s equivalent of a bar). I love her blog because she talks about her interesting life in Germany, as well as her beautiful travels and vacations with the V. I especially like the photos in her blog.
2. Lisa of i-Baguio: She blogs about Baguio with so much fire and passion. Want to know about the recent goings-on up there? Or the coolest places to see when on vacation in Baguio? Hop on over to her blog, and you will see from an insider’s view.
3. Annamanila of Ode to Old: I just can’t help but boomerang the shiny badge back to her. What can I say? I love her fluid writing style. She is funny and quirky. She plays a mean game of scrabble. She listens to Imago and The Eraserheads. How cool can one get? She’s one rockin’ blogger… and over 50 at that! 😉
4.Auee of Kwentong Walang Kwenta: I love her honest humor and sharp wit. I wonder why she called her kwentos walang kwenta when it’s exactly the opposite. She is also a cool rocker mom who loves Metallica. Rock on, Auee!
5. Simply Belle: She is such an inspiring woman. Her story of how she rose above her circumstances, her generous heart for the needy, and the awesome job she’s doing with raising two beautiful and brilliant girls inspire me.
And that, folks, took half of my Sunday. The other half was spent experimenting in the kitchen with a new dish the technohub and Patch have been craving for. Will blog about that soon, I hope.