I have a confession to make: I’m a chips addict. You’re not surprised?? Haha. Hub actually blames me for introducing the chips diet into our family. So it’s time to bring in some good influence and start introducing healthy snacks. 😀
Although in the past year or so, chips have been stricken off from the grocery list, I’d sometimes find excuses to sneak a bag or two into the cart. Thankfully, Nate is allergic, while Patch and I get headaches with too much MSG. Recently my throat has also become not very tolerant of salt anymore, I’d get sore throat when the chips are too salty. So yeah, we really have no choice but to keep chips consumption at minimum and categorized under “contraband”.
But good news to all chips addicts! We now have a better alternative:
Soyami Soya Chips, a product of AM Global Works Marketing Corporation, began as an experiment in searching for better healthy snacks served at Active Fun playgrounds.
I was invited to a little get-together with a few other bloggers where Apples Morales, the woman behind the chips, introduced Soyami Soya Chips.
Soyami is made from soya and has all the good things we love in chips: the crunch, the munch, a tinge of saltiness.
Soyami also has all the other good stuff we don’t find in other chips:
- zero transfats, saturated fats and cholesterol
- high calcium content (as high as 30% of daily value for the white cheddar flavor)
- low salt (3% of daily value)
- good levels of protein (8% DV) and dietary fiber (8% DV)
Deep-fried is bad
There’s something else that’s bad with chips – the way they are cooked. Most chips are deep-fried, and I’ve blogged here some time ago about acrylamide, a byproduct created when foods are deep-fried at very high temperatures (think fastfood standards of high temperatures). Acrylamide found in potato chips and French fries has been linked to cancer. That is why making French fries and other deep-fried foodstuff a regular part of our diet – not good.
Soyami Chips are baked, not deep-fried, making it a whole lot better than regular chips.
Benefits of Soya
Of course, Soyami is made from soya, which in itself has a long list of benefits for the body. Among the health benefits of soya are these:
- Soya is rich in isoflavones, a substance which is said to act like the hormone estrogen. This is the reason why soya is good for alleviating symptoms of menopause in women.
- Because of its rich isoflavone content, soya may also help people with diabetes by keeping blood glucose in check.
- Consuming at least 25 grams of soy protein per day may reduce your risk for heart disease – that, and a low-transfat, low-cholesterol diet.
- It promotes prostate health among men.
Best of all, because it’s MSG-free and all-natural, Soyami Soya Chips are legal at home! All the benefits of healthy snacks that we want for our kids are in Soyami.
Soyami healthy snacks are now available in Original, Pizza and White Cheddar variants at all leading supermarkets.