I don’t blame Pinterest for the long hours wasted pinning and repinning. It’s a wonderful place! Pinterest is where I find gorgeous home decor, helpful housekeeping tips, and lots of yummy recipes. And it’s so easy to file away stuff you find – just pin to a board and hope you’d remember to go back and actually try them out in real life. 😀 But this french toast bake recipe looked too yummy and easy to just leave it forgotten at my FOOD! board.
I was lucky to get one volunteer to assist so V and I gathered all we needed one night after dinner.
Ingredients: (taken from the source of recipe)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 loaf of bread (preferably thick slices, but I used Gardenia)
1 1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Powdered sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling
Butter for top layer
1. If you prefer, cut away the edges of the bread slices. (I did this, but used the edges anyway to fill gaps while layering the bread!)
2. Beat the eggs, milk and vanilla together.
3. Mix brown sugar and melted butter well. Pour mixture in an oven-proof dish and spread evenly on bottom.
4. Put one layer of bread slices over the butter-sugar mixture. Spoon half of the milk mixture on bread slices. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon before putting on the next layer of bread. Repeat the same procedure for the next layer/s.
5. For the final layer, spread some butter all over top then dust with powdered sugar and cinnamon.
6. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and chill in the ref overnight.
7. Wake up the next morning just a few minutes ahead of the rest of the family, and pop the dish into the oven at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
And there – a delightful breakfast treat for everyone! I tried it with some strawberry jam to balance the sweetness. Next time, we’re doing this with vanilla ice cream! (Maybe not for breakfast. But then again, maybe yes, for breakfast!) 🙂
Like Rach (the pinner at Pinterest) did, I also liked the toast upside down!
Try this French Toast Bake recipe and let me know how it turns out!