Last Saturday afternoon, several mommy bloggers and their children gathered at a restaurant in Pasig for a seminar on flu awareness. The event was organized by Nuffnang Philippines and Sanofi-Pasteur. I brought along my 11-year old daughter, iPatch.
The seminar, conducted by Dr. Ruby Mendoza-Dizon, was very informative. Here are some flu facts we learned:
- Flu is the 5th leading cause of morbidity in the Philippines (“morbidity” here means “illness”).
- About 10% of the global population gets the flu.
- It usually strikes between June and August.
- If left untreated, flu can lead to more serious complications such as pneumonia.
- Flu is highly preventable through good hygiene, a well-balanced diet, and vaccination.
- Vaccination against flu is a cost-efficient and safe option.
- The flu vaccine should be administered yearly, and as soon as the new vaccine for the current year becomes available.
- Vaxigrip(TM) is a brand of flu vaccine that is thiomersal-free. It is safe and proven to be effective in preventing the occurence of flu among those vaccinated.
Have you gotten your flu shot for this year? Go visit your family doctor soon. For more information about flu and flu vaccination, visit bakuna.ph.
Summer is here! Before going off to your holiday destinations, don’t forget to get your annual travel insurance.